Photo Essay: Chicago Then & Now

Central | Maxwell Street Area | North Side | South Side
« Return to article

728 W. 14th Place

The Five Spot Sweet Shop is now a vacant lot near UIC.

710 W. 14th Place

"People live in these," Cushman wrote. "Squalid dwellings, once stores." Now a parking lot.

1251 S. Newberry St.

Once a temple near Maxwell Street (Congregation Ahavas Achim), it is now a parking lot for the St. Francis of Assisi Church, considered the "mother church" for Chicago's Mexican Catholics and the city's oldest Spanish-speaking church.

1000 W. Maxwell St.

1042 W. Maxwell St.

1044 W. Maxwell St.

1311 S. Morgan St.

Formerly a synagogue near Maxwell Street, the land is now a UIC athletic field.

1460 W. Madison St.

928 W. Sangamon St.

Back to Gapers Block