"Root played the organ every Sunday morning at the First Presbyterian Church."
— The Devil in the White City
As the sign in front of the church indicates, the congregation of the First Presbyterian Church was founded in Chicago in 1833. The current church, however, located at 6400 S. Kimbark Ave., is not the church architect John W. Root would have known in the late 19th century. In Root's day, the church was at 21st Street and Indiana Avenue, near the mansions of Chicago's wealthy elite.
All images © 2006 Gapers Block. All rights reserved.