Old Cook County Hospital
"The son, Kotzie, worked evenings in the corner drugstore and went to school in the neighborhood of County Hospital, and it was he who told Grandma about the free dispensary."
The old Cook County Hospital building, which dates to 1913, is located at 1835 W. Harrison St., but it stands empty now, replaced by the John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County, which was completed in 2002. The fate of the original building remains in doubt.
All images © 2006 Gapers Block. All rights reserved.