"...one of these years he was going to hire a manager while he went back to the Armour Institute to finish his engineering degree."
The Armour Institute, a training school offering degrees in engineering and other fields, was founded in 1892 by Chicago meatpacking magnate Philip Danforth Armour. In 1940 the Armour Institute merged with another local college, the Lewis Institute, to form the Illinois Institute of Technology. As the photo shows, the original building still forms a part of the IIT campus at 3300 S. Federal St.
All images © 2006 Gapers Block. All rights reserved.